Kawasaki is planning to launch its 2021 model range on November 23, but before the official unveiling, we’ve already worked out what to expect, and now the first pictures of next year’s Ninja ZX-10R superbikes have emerged online.
Along with the mechanical revisions, the newest Ninja receives a host of electronic aids. In addition to Kawasaki’s launch control, ABS, quick shifter, engine braking system, and traction control, the ZX-10R adopts cruise control along with 3 standard and 4 customizable ride modes.
The upgrades for the 2021 bodywork include:
- Integrated winglets to help downforce.
- A more compact shape of the Ram intake, which directs air towards the induction system for efficiency.
- Aerodynamic riding position.
- LED headlights and taillight.
- Cowling-mounted mirrors with integrated LED turn signals.
- Slots in the new tail cowl design contribute to the bike’s stronger aerodynamic design.
For 2021, the engine is updated with:
- New air-cooled oil cooler similar to what’s found on Jonathan Rea’s World Superbike machine.
- New electronic throttle valves and valve train design that enables tuning for a high rev limit and more aggressive cam profiles
- New exhaust system that helps maintain power output and improves emissions.
- New transmission gear ratio that features shorter ratios for first, second, and third gears, reported to help strong low-mid acceleration for quicker corner exits and better off-the-line acceleration.
|Engine||998cc, 4-stroke, In-Line Four, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled|
|Bore x Stroke||76.0 x 55.0mm|
|Claimed Power||200 hp at 13,200 rpm (RR 201 hp at 14,000 rpm)|
|Claimed Torque||114.9 Nm at 11,400 rpm (RR 111.8 Nm at 11,700 rpm)|
|Induction||DFI w/47mm Mikuni throttle bodies (4) with oval sub-throttles, two injectors per cylinder|
|Gears||Six-speed, return shift|
|Frame||Twin spar, cast aluminium|
|Forks||43mm inverted Balance Free Fork, adjustable stepless rebound and compression damping, spring preload adjustability, 119 mm travel|
|Shock||Horizontal back-link with Balance Free gas-charged shock, stepless, dual-range (low-/high-speed) compression damping, stepless rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload, 114 mm travel|
|Tyres||120/70 ZR17 (F), 190/55 ZR17 (R)|
|Front Brakes||Brembo dual semi-floating 330mm discs with dual radial mounted monobloc 4-piston calipers, KIBS|
|Rear Brake||Single 220mm disc with aluminum single-piston caliper, KIBS|
|Electronics||Electronic Cruise Control, Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM), Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Brake System (KIBS), Kawasaki Sport Traction Control (S-KTRC), Kawasaki Engine Braking Control, Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS) (upshift & downshift), Kawasaki Corner Management Function (KCMF)|
|Kerb Weight||207 kg (205 kg RR)|
|Seat Height||835 mm|
|Rake / Trail||25.0°/106.7 mm|
|Fuel Capacity||17 Litres|
|Price||$26,000 for ZX-10R – $42,000 for ZX-10RR|